February 8, 2010

Macro Madness

I've embraced the dark side, and rolled a Tauren Death Knight on Barthilas. His name is... Vonmalefic. *shrug*

I'm taking a bit of a different approach this time. I'm not going with the macro madness that I did with A-Von. Still, here are some notes on what I did, just in case I ever want to go back to the macro madness approach.

First off, here is an example showcasing the general form:

#show
#showtooltip
#/cast [nomod:shift] Death Strike; [mod:shift] Obliterate

Generally, I try to put the more likely to be used ability as the "nomod" one, and pair up abilities that are somehow similar. Here's the current list (heavily weighted around the blood talent tree):

  • Death Strike/Obliterate (both cost one unholy and 1 frost rune)

  • Heart Strike/Blood Strike (Both cost 1 blood rune. Being single-target, Blood Strike would seem to be a good PvP choice, but even with glyph buffs, Heart Strike comes out on top in DPS output, regardless. Thanks for the heads-up Reubs!)

  • Death and Decay/Blood Boil (differing rune costs, but both AoE, with D&D putting out more damage, and needing to be "placed", which makes it unattractive when also using a shift modifier)

  • Empower Rune Weapon/Blood Tap (ERW is more useful, but they both serve to get me a little more bang for buck WRT rune cooldowns).

  • Raise Dead/Army of the Dead (both call ghoul(s), but RD has a smaller cooldown, making it more frequently reusable)

So what am I doing instead? Taking advantage of Bartender 4's paging mechanism. In my naive reasoning, macros probably require more client-side CPU cycles to crunch. Ok, I admit it... it's more just trying to go deeper with BT4.

1 comment:

  1. You may find that Heart Strike does more damage, regardless of how many targets are available to hit (source is from 3.1, which is a little old, might is probably relevant for 3.3: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?48724-3-1-Blood-vs-Heart-strike-numgers&p=211275#post211275). And in PvP, don't you want to hit everyone?

    I do like pairing DnD and BB. Blackthorn hasn't started tanking yet, but I'll be looking at ways to minimise the number of keys I need to map to get to my rotations smoothly. I see extensive usage of /powa in my future.

    ReplyDelete